Why Do You Perform a Keyword Analysis?
- To get visitors to your website through free organic rankings. (Getting found in search engines based on keyword relevancy not pay-per-click).
- To get qualified traffic to your site. (The customers who need and want your product or service).
- To "Get You Found" in search engines (Google, Bing, etc.) for keyword phrases.
- To enable you to convert visitors into leads and leads into customers.
How Do You perform a Keyword
Identify Obvious Keywords - the ones you can think of easily, often this will include your products or services.
Look at your websites access log for keywords that are bringing people to you.
Look at your competitors keywords.
Look for other additions: common spelling mistakes, synonyms, split or merged words, singular or plural, hyphenated words, geospecific words, your company name.
Use a keyword tool like GoogleAdwords Keyword Tool or HubSpot Keyword Grader to find more relevant keywords and keyword phrases.
How Can I Tell if my Keyword Strategy is Working?
The goal is to bring more traffic to your site and then have more of those visitors continue through the conversion process to become leads and then customers. The goal is not to just rank highly for as many keywords and keyword phrases as possible. So how do you know if this is happening?
- Are you being found more easily in organic search?
- Do you have an increased number of organic visits each month?
- Have your organic leads increased month after month since you performed a keyword analysis?